He didn't think it was as entertaining as I thought he would but the TV was still on.Scott and I had a few conversations about how to handle this post. We are fairly open books, but Avery, in time might not be and we want to respect that one day he might not appreciate a fully detailed post being out in the Internets about his first surgery. So, I'm not going to write out explicitly what he had to have done, but please infer as you wish or just ask.
Scott and I both took the day off of work to be with him and see him through what could have been a potentially traumatizing experience. Avery, however, was a rockstar. The only moment of hesitation he had was when he had to change into the hospital gown. I had told him about this the evening before but I'm guessing his hesitation comes from the fact that they did not provide feety jammies and everyone knows how Avery feels about his feety jammies.
At the beginning, there was just a lot of waiting. Doctors and nurses came in and out and Avery answered all of their questions and didn't seem to be unnerved by the situation at all. Even when it was time to go to the operating room he enjoyed his crazy 'sleigh' ride and the nurse let him push the buttons to open all of the doors. When we got to the room, we just played 'Eye Spy' and pointed out all of the interesting things we saw. Things got underway pretty quickly and Avery was soon breathing strawberry scented gas. We talked about donuts and ice cream and with a few wiggles of his legs, he was asleep. I had anticipated that watching him go to sleep would be awful, but it really wasn't. I didn't even cry. I kissed his cheek and walked back to the room.
Scott and I packed up our things, I pumped in the bathroom for 5 minutes and then the Doctor came out because the procedure was over. It was that fast. Soon, after that, a nurse came out saying that he was starting to wake up and we walked back to his recovery area. I was hoping to be there as he woke up, but when we arrived, he was already up. The nurses were surprised at how quickly he came to. He seemed unfazed. We read a book. He talked to Scott in a weird angry pirate voice which was hysterical and had a popsicle. For the record, I do not think anyone every has enjoyed a popsicle as much as Avery enjoyed his. It was like his own toddler, post-surgery ecstasy.
Soon, it was time to go home, and so we did. The whole things was remarkably unremarkable. The anticipation was certainly much worse. On a final note, a new play dough factory makes everything better.
I have to go to the dicktor because there's something wong with my wang.
Scott and I both took the day off of work to be with him and see him through what could have been a potentially traumatizing experience. Avery, however, was a rockstar. The only moment of hesitation he had was when he had to change into the hospital gown. I had told him about this the evening before but I'm guessing his hesitation comes from the fact that they did not provide feety jammies and everyone knows how Avery feels about his feety jammies.
At the beginning, there was just a lot of waiting. Doctors and nurses came in and out and Avery answered all of their questions and didn't seem to be unnerved by the situation at all. Even when it was time to go to the operating room he enjoyed his crazy 'sleigh' ride and the nurse let him push the buttons to open all of the doors. When we got to the room, we just played 'Eye Spy' and pointed out all of the interesting things we saw. Things got underway pretty quickly and Avery was soon breathing strawberry scented gas. We talked about donuts and ice cream and with a few wiggles of his legs, he was asleep. I had anticipated that watching him go to sleep would be awful, but it really wasn't. I didn't even cry. I kissed his cheek and walked back to the room.
Scott and I packed up our things, I pumped in the bathroom for 5 minutes and then the Doctor came out because the procedure was over. It was that fast. Soon, after that, a nurse came out saying that he was starting to wake up and we walked back to his recovery area. I was hoping to be there as he woke up, but when we arrived, he was already up. The nurses were surprised at how quickly he came to. He seemed unfazed. We read a book. He talked to Scott in a weird angry pirate voice which was hysterical and had a popsicle. For the record, I do not think anyone every has enjoyed a popsicle as much as Avery enjoyed his. It was like his own toddler, post-surgery ecstasy.
Soon, it was time to go home, and so we did. The whole things was remarkably unremarkable. The anticipation was certainly much worse. On a final note, a new play dough factory makes everything better.
I have to go to the dicktor because there's something wong with my wang.




No comments:
Post a Comment