Scott, "Write a blog about it so that everyone can feel our pain."
Last night sucked. It sucked so bad. It sucked so much that it's going to take a few days for Scott and I to recover and wash the suckiness off of us. Avery got sick about two weeks ago, was very sick, got better for the two days around his surgery and then started running his low grade fever again. He now has a double ear infection. This was ample time for Vivi, Scott and I to also fall ill. Vivi has mostly recovered, I was terribly ill on Sunday and Scott's sinus infection was getting worse. We were all counting on a good night's sleep last night to help us recover and move on. I haven't left the house since Avery's surgery, fyi.
Well, Avery had a different idea. I kid you not, he did not go to sleep until 4:30am. He was whining every 20 minutes for some supremely ridiculous reason; can't find his water, needs it icy cold, someone hold my water, someone cover me up, etc. At one point, I heard a crash and thought he fell out of bed because of the screaming, but alas it was only the effing water!
All of this commotion, woke the baby who could not fall asleep for almost 2 hours and spent those hours crying. I tried bringing Avery into bed with me but the whining continued and I ended up with his foot up my ass more times than I could count (he likes to sleep sideways).
Scott was on the sofa. Vivi was in the crib and then we played the Turbow Bed Shuffle and put Avery back in his bed, Vivi in the co-sleeper in our room, and Scott and I back in our bed. Yet, the fits of whining and crying continued. It was hell. We had exhausted our patience.
Now, I have to give Scott lots of credit. He seems to have endless patience when it comes to the erratic whims of our 3 year old and I've never actually heard him yell at Avery. He came as close as he ever has last night (and I still wouldn't qualify it as actually yelling, just a very stern Daddy voice), and would you know, that's what got the kid to shut up and go to sleep.
I know. He's sick. He doesn't feel good. It's our job as parents to care for him endlessly, but yesterday went too far. Scott and I are exhausted and now we're sick. I swear, being sick and having to care for a sick child is probably the hardest thing as parents that we've had to endure.
All day today we talked about his behavior and how tonight has to be different. Vivi is sleeping in our room and Scott and I have our fingers crossed. We really, really need some sleep.
rough! not exactly the two weeks off you had in mind.
ReplyDeletehugs!