Wednesday, August 17, 2011

my favorite books

The last time my mom came to visit, I asked her to bring my set of Little House on the Prairie books so that Avery and I could start reading them together. For those of you who don't know, I was obsessed with pioneers and I played 'pioneer' almost exclusively for most of the childhood. I pretended my bed was a covered wagon (something I still covet), I fashioned myself a hoop skirt (something I would still wear) out of wire hangers and shoe laces, forced my ever growing head into baby bonnets and continually cursed the fact that I was born in the wrong decade. 

When the books were not the raging hit I was hoping for, I put them back on the shelf with thoughts of bringing them out in a few months. Well, Avery reads these books every single day. Turns out, he just didn't want to read the with me. I don't think he's reading, reading them, but he recognizes lots words and coupled with the pictures, puts the story together. I am still hoping that one day we will read the entire collection out loud together - I'll save the hoop skirt wearing for Vivi. 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE Little House! One of my friends from High School gave me a large print version of the first book when I was prego with Annabelle, so I could read it to her! I tried about 6 months ago, and she still isn't ready for it, but I am super excited to read it with her soon!!

    ReplyDelete