Sunday, October 2, 2011

mother/son bike ride

Who's excited? Can you guess? Can you guess???
Down the elevator and into the garage...
...then up the ramp and out.

Curious how I'm taking a bike ride with someone I just gave birth to.

I had to bring my purse so that I could carry the water that someone would eventually want.
Off we go...

See ya later!
When Toffee first arrived, I promised Avery that after he mastered the bike we would take a mother/son bike ride and go really, really far. That day arrived quickly so we set out to an open house at a place I've had my eye on for a few years and then to Teller elementary to play at the playground. He did great. He came to a full and complete stop and each and every intersection and alley. We crossed Colfax without incident and navigated both sidewalks and streets. He asked no fewer than 2.5 million questions. 

He loved exploring the house and the playground. We had such a phenomenal time and it is not lost on me that this is the first of a different kind of parent/child activity. Biking has proved to be such a great and intense learning experience for him - following bike safety rules, using all of his senses to be aware of his surroundings (listening for cars, looking to see where they are coming from, etc.), gross motor skills, coordination, patience, getting up after a spill (he's averaging about 3 per ride), persistence and so much more. It's wonderful that all of this learning is wrapped up in a super fun package. 

I am so proud of him that he had the endurance to make it through a pretty long bike ride. I anticipate many more mother/son rides but hopefully next time we can pick up a little speed because I mostly just coast along with my feet on the ground.  

No comments:

Post a Comment