I think as parents we are much more inclined to acknowledge the things our kids CAN DO instead of what they CANNOT (well, except for the walking...come on, Vivi!) and who they ARE rather than who they ARE NOT. Certainly, we keep track of milestones and skills, but sometimes, something slips under the radar.
Before I was a parent, I had all sorts of conversations with myself about how I would handle X, Y, or Z situation. My current overarching parenting philosophy is 'you have to know your kid,' not so much on the pre-canned conversations and scenarios. However, one of the things I pre-planned for was the inevitable grocery store fight where my imaginary kid was constantly begging for toys or junk cereal. This would inevitably lead to lessons about moderation, saving up and delayed gratification.
Enter Avery. He has never once asked me for anything at any store...EVER. He has never wanted anything, and I don't mean that in the 'he is so spoiled and has everything he wants before he wants it' kind of way. I've never had to have the conversation about saving up money to buy something he really wants. He has never seen a commercial and then asked for they toy or seen something one of his friends has and then wants one of his own. This blows my mind.
Take last night for example, we went to the mall for a quick family errand and after I wanted some frozen yogurt. We unloaded the kids and Avery realized he still had some left over from the last time we got frov-yo. He was content to watch Scott and I serve ourselves up fresh cups, knowing that he could eat his leftovers when we got home. WHAT?!? He didn't even ask for some. Even after the t-rex encounter at the museum last week, where they dump you right into the gift shop as you exit, he was happy to play with the toys and then put them back. No asking for one of his own.
Even though I am not one for spontaneous treats or toys, you would think he would eventually figure this out himself. Maybe he just knows I'll say 'no' and doesn't bother asking. Maybe I should start letting him choose a few things when we grocery shop, but truthfully, getting through Target is much easier this way.
He's such a good kid! I'm just now catching up b/c the link to your blog from mine was stuck on "post hair cut photo shoot" for a long time, so I thought you hadn't posted :(. Not that we don't already know everything about each other since we sit right by each other every day!! LOL.
ReplyDelete