Wednesday, September 7, 2011

the hole

You might recognize the measuring tape.

She IS standing up! She IS wearing a jean jacket!
Table Tasting
"Mama, will you make a hole for us?"

I hear this every single day. Ever since the Wipeout post, Avery has asked me to remove the sofa cushions so that he and Sister can play in "the Hole."

This is one of the reasons why I appreciate having the sofa my parents had while I was in high school. I don't really care if crap gets spilled on it or if the cushions get severally deformed because someone plays Hole every day. Hole facilitates lots of climbing, jumping, toy dumping and reading. The Hole is known to house stackadoos, legos, Uno Moo pieces, Bebes, Mimis, Tiger, Owl, an almost 4 year old, and an uncoordinated 14 month old. 

Speaking of her, Cathryn was teasing me about my stair phobia and that I wouldn't let Vivi go down the stairs on her tummy. I had to laugh out loud as I verbally attempted to demonstrate Vivi trying to get out of the Hole (she can't get in by herself. I have to help her with that). In the above pictures, you can see one sofa cushion on the floor which allows for a door out of the Hole (the way in is up and over the back of the sofa in case you were interested). Well, Viv can get herself on to the cushion, but then becomes stuck. I have tried showing her how to flip on to her tummy and put her legs down but she looks at me like I'm a crazy person and flat out refuses. So, to get down from the cushion, a mere 6 inches above the carpet, she scootches to the edge and the just plops down on her butt. This is not a girl I would put near any set of stairs.

I am very pro-Hole because the brown chair you see, from my mom's college days (hooray for old furniture), served as a boat, fort and climbing apparatus for me as a child and I am more than happy to pass down the joy of alternate furniture uses to my children. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment