Saturday, September 24, 2011

toffee

Avery covered his eyes with Bebe as to not ruin the surprise.

It took him a few seconds to sound out 'bicycle,' but then he knew what was up.

Trying out Toffee for the first time.

I think it's the right size!
Getting fitted for a helmet.
Off he goes, around the store.
And around...
And around...

That's one happy boy right there
Welcome to the family, Toffee.
Avery's birthday came early this year. We had been planning on getting him a bike for his 4th birthday since a day after he turned 3 and since a lot of the family was in town and we wanted him to be able to get some use out of it before winter, we got the bike a little early. I think this experience has a good chance of lasting throughout Avery's life. I distinctly remember getting my first bike, Sunshine. It was chained to a tree at a neighbor's house and cost $30. It was orange with long handle bars and a banana seat.

Initially, I thought we would go the balance bike route since it is much more effective at teaching kids how to ride on two wheels than training wheels. However, Avery was so not interested in the balance bikes and immediately took to a certain 2 wheeled bike with training wheels. There was some frustration as he figured out how to pedal, but soon, he was zooming around the store. He was having so much fun that we decided to forgo the balance bike and get the one with training wheels. 

After the decision was final, I told Avery that he needed to choose a name for his bike and he immediately responded with, "Toffee." Toffee it is.

Getting one's first 2 wheeled bike is such a big step and it hardly seems possible that Avery is the one riding around. He has taken to bike riding like no other physical activity. He has ridden Toffee every day since, most days, twice and he is usually waiting on his bike, helmet on just outside of the elevator when I get home from work. He already had the great idea of bringing his bike next time we go on a hike and really thinks he just invented mountain biking!

I am so thankful to everyone who contributed to this most excellent gift. Happy early birthday, Avery!

No comments:

Post a Comment