Wednesday, November 3, 2010

avery | 3 years

Yes, I actually like the sun glare on his face. It was on purpose.

Avery is now 3 years old. All day today he has been asking, "What happened to my 2?" If you figure it out, son, I'd like to know!

Wow. How do you put into words this complex, thinking, talking, playing boy? Avery, your mind is always working. You are constantly observing and interacting with your world and formulating new ways to play, questions to ask and observations to be made. It is nothing short of amazing watching you develop and learn. You are funny, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. For example, today Daddy was home with you for a few hours and was just wearing an undershirt so you asked him, "Daddy, why are you wearing a onesie?" Hilarious, but unintentional.

Your love of letters still remains strong. Okay, that might be an understatement. Your passion in life is LETTERS. You can read more words than I can count and with guidance can sound out the rest. Your desire to learn is almost as insatiable as your desire to play. I love watching you play by yourself and all of the characters and games that you come up with. Not surprising, a lot of them still have to do with organizing something but now there is a plot.

You love school. You love your friends, sometimes too much. You love your Bebes, so much so that no one is allowed to touch them except for you. You love your Sister. You are a joyous child.

I think that you are an amazing big brother and will play with Vivienne when she's fussy, bring her dolly if you think she needs it, show remarkable patience when she's crying and make her smile all of the time. You seem to know that she is a baby and therefore understands things differently and has different needs. Her whereabouts are of your immediate concern and she is never far from your thoughts. You love being a big brother.

Currently, your favorite toys are your trike, new games, and art projects. You still don't really love eating, but at least you know what a treat is.

Even though we had a few months of some terrible terrible 2s, things have settled down. Yes, there are still outbursts, screaming and fits, but your turn around time is pretty short provided you're not too tired.

I have to admit that there are times that the incessant questioning reaches beyond mine or Daddy's patience, especially if it's something we've already answered a million times, but I just gently remind myself that this is how you learn. Repetition.

So Happy Birthday, my darling 3 year old. Now that those critical "first three years" are over I'm going to start slacking off, watching more TV, not hiding veggies in food, limit the amount of books we read and stop enforcing a reasonable bed time. McDonald's anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment