Saturday, July 17, 2010

vivienne's arrival | letter from daddy


Here is a copy of the email Scott sent out. I love that we have something from his point of view.

Well it has been an up and down 48 hours in Turbow land.

Baby Vivienne was born Tuesday at 3:23PM, weighing in at 7lbs 13 oz and 20.5 inches long. (A full 10 ounces and 1.5 inches bigger than Avery.)

Cassie checked into the hospital at about 11AM after a scheduled morning doctor appointment. Between 11 and 1:30 nothing was happening and we were BORED. She sent me out to get her lunch and a DVD and when I got back 40 minutes later, things had changed and Cassie began active labor. Active labor, since Cassie did it completely without drugs, basically consisted of her screaming like a banshee and asking for a god she doesn't believe in. If I didn't feel so bad for her, I would have laughed out loud. After about an hour of this, Cassie got out of the bath, her water immediately broke and she pushed a beautiful baby girl out a whopping 7 minutes later. I even got to take the baby as it came out and put it on Cassie's chest as well as cut the cord. (Prior to giving me the scissors to cut the cord the midwife gave me an extra look and said, are you sure you are ready to handle scissors and I looked back at her and clear as a bell, said, "Sure, why are you asking?" I guess that some people are a little shaky with the scissors. Me, I was excited and happy to be able to do something to help) Baby and momma were fine after delivery and things looked good.

Then Wednesday morning, things turned trepidatious. Vivienne exhibited shortness of breath and quickened breathing as well as a heart murmur. The murmur was not too concerning and is not abnormal for babies but combined with the quick breaths, we were worried that either she was sick, her heart was showing an abnormality or a host of other issues. So that meant she got admitted to the Nic-U, the intensive care unit for babies yesterday at about noon. It was heart breaking!

Walking into that Nic-U for the first time was one of the scariest moments of my entire life, not knowing what was wrong and not being able to fix it. TERRIBLE! So we have spent the last 24 hours wondering if she was OK, having her attached to tubes and constantly checked on poked and prodded by the nurses who were great but only wanted to make sure she was OK.

After a few hours in the Nic-U, her breathing was fine and then they checked her heart and that looked good as well. She was nursing like a champ and all tests were good, except her blood sugar was low (Yeah, a new worry!) So Cassie and I spent the night, mainly sleeping in chairs, stealing a couple of hours back in her room, but feeding, burping, cuddling and loving gorgeous Vivi. Last night they told us they thought she would have to stay at least one more night under observation. Overall, while in the Nic-U, she did well but they were still a little worried which was obviously disconcerting. Cassie and I however, had high hopes since the tests kept looking good, other than her sugar which was OK, just not perfect. So this morning, we were waiting for the doctor rounds and loving baby Vivi when I went out to get Cassie a bagel (eating is not her top priority right now although it should be) and when I got back....

THE NURSE SAID VIVI WAS READY TO GO HOME!!! What shocking great news! Totally unexpected as Cassie and I were gearing up for another night sleeping on chairs or taking a break in her room, her sleeping on a bed, me sleeping on a bed that comes out of the closet (is that a Murphy bed and if so, what kind of devil man was Murphy making a hard plastic bed that comes out of a closet, who dares call that a bed? And plastic pillows on top, comfy!)

So in the end, all looks good. We are preparing to check out Vivi and take her home. Avery is excited to have everyone home although he has loved spending the last two days with Auntie Sarah (you are the best Sarah, THANKS!) especially because every meal includes chocolate or a "picnic" on the couch.

Thanks for everyone's love and support. It is all working out in the end and we are just so EXCITED to take Vivienne home.

There are some great pictures of her on the website www.picasaweb.google.com/cturbow and even some great ones when Avery came to visit yesterday morning before Vivi got admitted. It is good to be a complete family and oh the joy of the comforts of home.

Love to all,

Scott, Cassie, Big Brother Avery and Baby Girl Vivienne

No comments:

Post a Comment