Thursday, July 15, 2010
vivienne's arrival | family of four
Avery came to meet his Sister the following morning. He was very excited to finally meet this person we've been talking about and preparing for. And yes, like everyone said, he seemed huge! All of a sudden my baby had a giant head, giant feet, acres of hair, and eyelashes for days.
Even as I write this, I know that I am still adjusting to mothering two children who are at very different stages of their lives with very different needs. Vivi needs care, warmth and protection - the purest of maternal loves. Avery's needs are a little more nuanced as we muddle through the terrible twos, deal with bad listening and bad attitudes, encourage his mental and physical development, define and redefine boundaries, all while providing an underlying base of unconditional love. Like all two year olds, he can be the MOST charming, smartest, funniest human alive and a split second later...spawn of satan (I stole that from Stacy, but think that it's appropriate).
Our family meet and greet was unfortunately cut short because Vivi was being admitted to the NICU and the nurse came to take her while Avery was there, and I had to go with the baby and leave my crying toddler behind.
Looking back on this moment, I can't get a clear mental picture of how I was feeling or what I experienced because the night in the NICU has clouded my memory. However, there will be subsequent posts about what a great big brother Avery is and how we're adjusting to life with Vivi, and even though I do remember him walking into the room to meet her, I have many more memories of the life with two that has only just begun.
On a final note, Avery asked me shortly after he walked into the room, "Mama what's in here?" while patting my tummy, and I was thrilled to be able to respond, "Just food."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment