Semi-authentic St. Louis pizza (I say semi because we only got veggies on it, no meat...unheard of).In celebration of Cheney and Travis's wedding, Heather, Scot, Scott (I told you we know a lot of Scott's) and I traveled to Carbondale, IL by way of St. Louis. Well, I thought Detroit was a depressed, sad city. We did find a little area by the river that had been redeveloped and seemed to be enjoying a little renewal to have some dinner. We chose the restaurant because of it's promise of authentic St. Louis pizza, approved by Rachel Ray, and were very curious to know what kind of pizza St. Louis has to offer.
Turns out, one gets a square pizza delivered on a cookie tray smothered in Provel aka white velveeta and according to wikipedia, "Although popular in the St. Louis area, Provel is rarely used elsewhere." The city went and created its own processed cheese in order to give its pizza a unique character, and I mean processed cheese because, "Provel is not legally labeled as simply cheese because it does not meet the moisture content requirements that the (FDA) holds for a food to be considered cheese." Nice. All I can say is that I have an affinity for processed cheese and thought the pizza was damn good and so did everyone else.
Our time in St. Louis was brief since we still had a two hour ride to Marion, just outside of Carbondale. I don't have much to say about Marion except that it is Everywhere USA and we ate a Bob Evans, because it was the best choice.
Turns out, one gets a square pizza delivered on a cookie tray smothered in Provel aka white velveeta and according to wikipedia, "Although popular in the St. Louis area, Provel is rarely used elsewhere." The city went and created its own processed cheese in order to give its pizza a unique character, and I mean processed cheese because, "Provel is not legally labeled as simply cheese because it does not meet the moisture content requirements that the (FDA) holds for a food to be considered cheese." Nice. All I can say is that I have an affinity for processed cheese and thought the pizza was damn good and so did everyone else.
Our time in St. Louis was brief since we still had a two hour ride to Marion, just outside of Carbondale. I don't have much to say about Marion except that it is Everywhere USA and we ate a Bob Evans, because it was the best choice.


No comments:
Post a Comment