Sunday, August 19, 2012

best ball game. ever.

Enjoying the game.
Two peas in a pod. It's not possible for me to love these pictures any more than I do.

Standing next to the dug out.




A picture of a lifetime
Vivi's turn with the game ball
Enjoy the fresh air now, little ball. Expect to spend the rest of your life in a case on Avery's dresser.


This was, by far, the BEST baseball game I have ever been to. Tatiana sent me a text asking if we wanted her season tickets for the day and even though I am generally reluctant to commit to an activity during nap time, I am happily accepted her generous offer. Scott and I had been wanting to take the kids to the game and we were just enough past Scott's knee surgery to embark on such an adventure. I dropped the boys off at the stadium, parked at my office and huffed it back with Vivienne. We had beers, ice cream and dogs. The seats were AMAZING, a few rows back from the visiting team's dugout. After each inning warm up, a player was throwing the warm up ball into the stands and after 3 innings, it became my life's mission to get a ball. I had a toddler in a cowboy hat and a cute 4 year old, so I thought my chances were good..I mean, Avery's chances :)

After the 5th inning warm up, I took Avery right behind the dug out. After coming off the field, Gary Thurman with the Marlins made eye contact with me, noticed Avery and gently rolled the ball across the dug out right into Avery's hands. It was unbelievable. I was SO excited. I cried a little. Avery was thrilled and I spent the next few hours trying to impart just how special and exciting getting a ball at the game is. Granted, we didn't catch a home run or pop up fly (we made the kids duck under he seats when a lefty was at bat so they wouldn't get hurt accidentally), but in that moment one of my dreams as a kid was fulfilled. 

When I was younger, we attended Tigers games every now and then, and I remember dreaming about catching a ball. I wanted one so badly as a kid, but it was really never a possibility because we always had to sit in the cheap seats. Avery and I have had several conversations about what cheap seats are. He doesn't yet realize you lucky he is to know someone with season tickets willing to share them.

I am incredibly grateful for this day. For the generosity of friends. For lugging my camera around to capture these images. For the memories I made and hopefully for the memories Avery made.  

No comments:

Post a Comment