Saturday, June 4, 2011

memorial day

Two cute girls in the grass.

She has not yet mastered scootching in the grass and was therefore prey to my lens.
Man, I just love this picture. Erica is so cute.
The big kids took turns in the swing. There was definitely some boys v. girls going on.
We all got together at the Wasserman's on Memorial Day for some festive fun. The babies had a great time slobbering toys and showing off their new scootching/walking skills for the grownups while the big kids played mostly in the basement. I swear there are just some things that are hard wired on those X and Y chromosomes. At one point, both Hannah and Annabelle were wearing princess dresses, butterfly wings and carrying around their babies while the boys were putting them in jail and 'pewing' with their fingers.


Let me explain. Avery doesn't know what a g-u-n is, I don't even want to spell it out loud, but has somehow taken to 'shooting' aka 'pewing' (that's the noise he makes) us with his finger. When asked what he's doing he says he's shooting something, usually colors or fire, out of his finger. My first inclination is to say that we don't shoot things, but sometimes I just pew water at him if he's pewed fire at me.


This whole boy thing should get pretty interesting. I read a study a few years ago that claimed that boys creative energy gets inhibited if parents forbid 'war' play and this affected them for the rest of their lives. Now, I'll just have to see how things go and react to the situation at hand. If Avery takes to blowing up villages of innocent civilians, we might have a problem. However, if he's playing Seals Team 6, I could get on board. Avery is not hyper-masculine by any stretch of the imagination or overtly aggressive. The pewing is more in good fun than anything else and I'll just go with it for now.

No matter what, he will learn to treat people with respect and kindness and we'll find healthy, creative outlets for that boy energy everyone keeps warning me about.

No comments:

Post a Comment