Friday, March 19, 2010

Sunday Morning

Avery opted to stand for the duration of breakfast

After, he retired to his box for some light reading.

Yes, he is sitting on a chair, in the box, with a book and a bucket of blocks

On the days that I do not work, I really enjoy making breakfast for Avery and I. Scott typically does not eat because he's usually heading to the gym and eating is not on his list of approved pre-gym or pre-soccer activities. As you might imagine, the list of pre-soccer no-nos is MUCH longer. Anywho, on Sunday I made cinnamon chocolate chip pancakes with the help of a certain 2 year old and he decided to enjoy our culinary success while standing on his stool at the counter.

With regards to the box, rated the number one toy of all time, Avery has found dozens of uses for it. This mostly entails filling it up with all sorts of toys and then wondering why there is not any room for him. He has also figured out how to get in and out since the sides are taller than his little legs. Again, it involves the stool. That thing gets toted around the house several times per day because it enables his independence and he is a big fan.

The biggest sin Scott and I can commit is picking Avery up when he would prefer to, "walk by self." I made this mistake a few weeks ago at Annabelle's when he was having a particularly heinous meltdown and the time for negotiating had expired so I picked up the screaming mess that was Avery to take him to the car. Well, he immediately forgot that he was upset about leaving his friend's house and with renewed vengeance, launched into 45 more minutes about wanting to "walk by self." Lesson learned. Now, no matter how terrible the meltdown (these typically happen while leaving Annabelle's house) I let him walk because no meltdown is as bad as the "I've tried negotiating with you, child, but now it's just time to listen so I'm just going to pick you up" kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment