Friday, January 15, 2010

It's a Girl!

Our baby girl!

Lady parts

Bud (yes, still Bud) aka The Flipper Flopper

Long, long legs. That black circle is her bladder.

Just after we told Avery he was getting a sister

For lots of reasons, mostly because I'm crazy and impatient I found a place that does gender checks starting at week 15. After weeks of convincing Scott he finally agreed. We dropped off Avery at Eli's house knowing he would have much more fun playing with his friend than sitting in a doctor's office wondering what that lady is doing to his mommy.

The beginning of the ultrasound was nothing short of amazing. The baby is fully formed and was dancing like crazy. It was like a baby rave and everyone was on fetus speed. For the first 10 minutes Scott and I just watched the baby, pointing out parts and just generally staring in amazement at what we had created. However, the baby had her (it's still weird using the correct pronouns) legs crossed and was frolicking with such intensity that it was nearly impossible to get the correct shot to determine the sex. I thought I kept seeing a smudge that I thought were balls, but after what seemed like 3 days, the ultrasound tech finally said, "It's looks like there's a baby girl in there." Cue the tears!

Wow. A girl. A daughter. A sister. A baby that finally might love her daddy best. We. Were. Ecstatic. All of a sudden I felt like everything I ever wanted had been given to me. Don't get us wrong, we would have loved another son with the same intensity that we love Avery but just knowing the sex changes how one thinks about her family. There will be dresses, dolls, pink, a Daddy's girl (hopefully), the chance to teach someone what it means to be a woman and someone to force my beloved dollhouse on. Although, I do think that Avery will also enjoy playing with it and he does have a healthy affinity for pink.

Avery opened up a whole world to us. A world we cherish living in and experiencing with him, and that door for our daughter has just started to open. We feel incredibly lucky to be having this baby and she is already worth every ounce of pain we went through this year.

I am already madly in love with this little person and look forward to welcoming her to her family, not too anxious, mind you because I'll need the next 5.5 months to mentally prepare for being the mother of two children.

So, Bud, you're a girl and even though it's not my favorite color, our house is going to look splendid with some pink in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment