Tuesday, February 17, 2015
broken arm
Our first major injury. I had just been to Avery's school to watch a musical performance and was just sitting back down to work when my phone rang with DPS on the caller ID. The nurse at Avery's school said that there was an accident and Avery hurt his arm and that I needed to come get him and take him to the Dr. I asked if it was broken, and she said she couldn't say. Well, when I saw his arm, I knew immediately it was broken. It was agonizing getting him up and into the car but we finally made it and then I stopped by home to get his Bebes and give him some Motrin on our way to Urgent Care.
I never want to relive getting him from the car to the waiting room at Urgent Care ever again. The screaming was gut wrenching and Scott had not yet arrived to help. He finally made it and luckily Scott arrived for the x-ray portion of our stay because I couldn't handle any more screaming and seeing Avery in pain. I could hear him all the way on the other side of the building. It was tortuous for him.
It was determined that the break was bad enough that he would need surgery to fix it, so we headed to Children's Hospital. Avery fell asleep on the way because he had just had enough. Getting him out of the car at the ER was a little easier because we used a wheelchair. We eventually got in, but to keep a long story short, didn't see a Dr., had his surgery scheduled and reschedule, and eventually got sent home in a splint with a surgery scheduled tomorrow.
Needless to say, he didn't get much sleep even after we McGuyvered up some crazy pillow situation to make him as comfortable as possible. In the morning, the hospital kept pushing back his surgery and I was concerned that he couldn't eat or drink anything and hadn't in several, several hours. He eventually got in for surgery which went well. The recovery was a bit rough but we got to go home that afternoon.
After the first few days, Avery was fairly comfortable and back to school. Even though this initial trauma was rough, it went smoothly as far as broken bones go. This was all caused when he went back to catch a pass on the playground and tripped over a kid who was on the ground behind him. Football is dangerous!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment