Friday, November 16, 2012

grand rapids | cookie extravaganza

Kathryn got the kids those adorable aprons in preparation for the much anticipated Cookie Extravaganza

Probably not surprising that Eli's apron got a little bit dirtier than the Turbow children's (they are Scott's offspring afterall)
Rolling out the dough
Tongue
Master bakers in training

I think this might be the quintessential picture of Eli's childhood - adorable.
Watching the first batch bake
Shanes are what they call 'Snitchers.' When in Rome.
Looks like Avery might become a Snitcher too!

Isaac joined the kids for the decorating portion of the extravaganza
Her face and apron are still clean as a whistle
Man, he is one cute Snitcher
The kids and I traveled to Grand Rapids for a few days before heading to Detroit to spend Thanksgiving with the Turbows. This was the first time that all of our combined children were together so the trip had extra special significance for me. Avery, Viv and I arrived late Thursday night and Kathryn had set up beds for each of us in their family room complete with welcome cards and special stuffies picked out by Eli. It was awesome.
 
I think the idea for the cookie extravaganza came about last Christmas when Kathryn and I exchanged text pics of the cookies our sons had decorated. Eli sprinkles with gusto! The more, the merrier, especially if some end up in his mouth. Avery, as you can imagine is more conservative and careful with his sprinkle dispersal and seeing the two vastly different styles was hilarious. Kathryn, thought that Avery needed some proper sprinkling technique lessons.

You may be wondering what a 'Snitcher' is. Well, a Snitcher is someone who helps himself to lots of tastes along the way, perhaps as a quality control measure. Eli is world class. He probably ate his body weight in cookie dough and watching him do so was joyful.

We made and decorated dozens of cookies and I'm happy to report that they were gobbled up over the course of the week, but more than that, it was so wonderful to spend the day with my oldest and dearest friend and our children, feeding our souls and dirtying her floor (see second picture - on the wall). 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment